Critical Appraisal and Integration of Evidence into Healthcare Practice
This course is a requirement for successful completion of the National Orthopaedic Division Advanced Diploma.
A Ten – Week Online Course
The ability to retrieve, critically appraise and integrate the research evidence into advanced healthcare practice is essential to clinical outcomes. In this online course, you will develop the skills to conduct a literature search using various databases, evaluate different types of research and integrate and apply evidence informed approaches to clinical decision making. Participants will complete eight online modules, which will consist of recorded lectures, required course readings and various learning activities including self assessment, online quizzes, asynchronous and synchronous discussion board forums. Participants will work in groups to critically appraise a research intervention article using the PICOT framework and a critical appraisal tool. The final assignment will require participants to write and present a case report demonstrating the application of the five steps of evidence informed practice developed throughout the course (Ask, Acquire, Appraise, Apply, Assess).
This course is relevant to clinicians and educators and is a mandatory requirement for all physical therapists in the Advanced Integrated Musculoskeletal (AIM) Education System delivered through the Orthopaedic Division of the Canadian Physiotherapy Association (CPA). All course participants who first registered AFTER January 2014 in their course program (Level 1 exam) must complete this course and provide certification of completion prior to receiving the Advanced Diploma of Manipulative Therapy.
Course participants should expect to devote approximately 6-8 hours per week to this course and be prepared to work in groups.
At the conclusion of this course, learners will be able to:
- Recognize the three pillars of evidence informed practice and acknowledge the barriers and facilitators
- Write a clinical question, search and critically appraise the research evidence
- Demonstrate an understanding of the different types of research study designs and the advantages and disadvantages
- Recognize and discuss the importance and clinical relevance of the measurement properties of outcome measures
- Interpret the meaning of basic statistical tests related to precision – e.g. p-values, confidence intervals
- Understand the derivation, validation and clinical application of Clinical Prediction Rules
- Discuss Clinical Practice Guidelines and the implementation into advanced healthcare practice
- Consider specific implementation strategies to improve integration and translation of research evidence into healthcare practice
Contact Colleen Dorion for priority access registration – email@example.com
Visit the website for more information when it becomes available.