Golden Hands Award Winner – Pat Fonstad – 2016
“Often deals with people who were severely affected, whom have had no response to other treatment , and she gives them their lives back. ”
“She gives her heart to all her patients … she did not want to be beaten by any condition.” Her patients would say “Golden Hands and Heart”.
- Dedication to the profession is unparalled
- 1st class of DSc PT students at Andrews University, finishing ahead of schedule with full honors
- Since 2007 an adjunct faculty at Andrews University, lead teacher for medical diagnostics or imaging techniques for physiotherapists
- Her compassion for her patients is outstanding … she provides relief to &, more importantly, the gift of hope to many patients affected by severe chronic pain
Kathy Berglund Andrews University, USA
- Instrumental in developing the diagnostic imaging course for physiotherapists in Alberta.
- She was one of the pioneers in leading the curriculum development, working through many challenging issues and always with diplomacy.
Dianne Millette, PT, MHSc.
Registrar and CEO
Physiotherapy Alberta – College + Association
- A trailblazer in her approach to orthopaedic practice
- Positive influence to PT practice… a front‐runnerin evidence based theory & practice
- A sharing spirit & thirst for knowledge that will sustain our profession for a lifetime to come
Education Committee Chair OPD CPA
- Renaissance lady
- Kind & compassionate practitioner
- Clinical maverick with novel ideas & insight
- An accomplished author & researcher delving into conditions & treatments of the hip / prolotherapy
- Aligning & leading the way with the medical team in tackling complicated MSK & chronic pain patients
Michael Westaway Physiotherapist collaborator & colleague
- Trusted advisor, mentor & friend
- Many a personal & professional issue been hammered out at Pat’s home around their dinner table, glass of wine in hand!
- Gifted, natural teacher: She is an asker of questions vs a provider of answers
- As a fearless advocator for patients … “Not all patients are easy but we have to love them all”
- Pat words of wisdom: “Never, Ever Give Up”
Diana Roylance Physiotherapist colleague
- Respected within medical community: thorough examination; appropriate clinical reasoning & patient management.
- Instrumental in pursuit of knowledge … prolotherapy & its role in patient management
- Led the way with the 1st practitioners, fostering relationships and brought us into these networks. Thank you Pat!
- Ahead of her time … complex patients took time to evaluate & MANAGE to address the biopsychosocial concerns that dominated their clinical presentation.
- Developedprofessional rates for her services that have withstood the test of time and continued to increase.
- Demonstratedleadership, moving away from the former ‘biomechanical’ model into the biopsychosocial era – not by dismissing her hands but, by integrating & using them to aid patient management.
Dr Ashley Smith, PhD
Postdoctoral Research Fellow U of Queensland
- Her presence, impeccable posture & positiveness … a very extraordinary person
- In her world, anything can be mastered, she does everything so very well.
- Takes Anatomy & Physiology books on holidays to read!
- Passionate Maverick: 40 years ago, she wore “hotpants” & carried a silver bullet in her pocket to give to patients if they needed something to bite on!
40+ yr personal & professional friend
- One of the first clinical specialists in Canada – she always tells students to …
“Be the best you can be – don’t accept mediocrity”
Physiotherapist & Professional Practice